To wake up your glutes, use the hip extension exercise. In order to isolate the glutes and reduce hamstring involvement, it's best to perform the hip extension in a quadruped position rather than laying prone (face down).
The Quadruped Hip Extension
- Start in a quadruped position (on your hands and knees).
- Tighten your core and contract your abs to stabilize the spine.
- Focus on contracting the left glute. You may need to place your hand on your glute to be sure it contracts.
- Slowly lift the left leg up while keeping a 90-degree bend at the knee.
- The left thigh should be nearly parallel with the ground.
- Slowly lower to the start position and repeat 10 reps per side.
- To increase the intensity of this exercise, place a small dumbbell behind your knee or add an ankle weight.