This muscle group extends the leg while straightening the knee and is a primary mover in stair climbing and cycling. Injuries to the quadriceps muscle are often caused by a strength or flexibility imbalance between the quadriceps and the hamstrings.
There are many different ways to stretch your quadriceps, but here is a simple one you can do while kneeling.
- Kneel with one leg forward and one leg back, as shown in the picture.
- Reach back and get a firm grip on the foot of the back leg.
- Slowly bend the knee and lift the foot off the ground and toward your buttock until you feel a stretch across the front of the hip and thigh.
- Hold the stretch for 20 to 30 seconds, release and repeat on the other leg.
- Be careful not to strain your knee.