If you are looking for a great ab workout, combine the following exercises to create a balanced core workout routine.
And don't forget, getting great abs takes more than ab exercise alone. It also takes proper nutrition and a well-rounded fitness routine.
Tips for Building an Effective Ab and Core Workout
Perform several (3-5) ab exercises 3-5 times a week. Start with exercises and repetitions that are comfortable for your fitness level and as you improve increase the number of repetitions. You do not need to do all the exercises; simply select those that work well for you and vary your routine over the months.
The Best Ab Exercises for Athletes
- Dragon Flag Advanced Core Exercise. Credited to martial arts master, Bruce Lee. the Dragon Flag, is arguably one of the more advanced bodyweight exercises you can do.
- Bicycle Crunch Exercise. This ab exercise generally ranks at the top of the list of best ab exercises if done properly.
- Captain's Chair Exercise. Another great one, but you need equipment (or creativity) for this one.
- Ab Crunch on an Exercise Ball. I bet you have an exercise ball at home.
- Single Leg Bridge Exercise. The best unknown core exercise.
- Vertical Leg Crunch. Ouch!
- Long Arm Crunch. Another version of a favorite.
- Reverse Crunch. Kick up the feet with the torso holding steady.
- Plank (Hover) Exercise . A basic from Yoga.
- Traditional (Basic) Abdominal Crunch
- Crossover Crunch. Good for the obliques!
- Seated Oblique Twists with Medicine Ball. Tough, but effective.
- Oblique Crunch. You know this one.
- Plank on a Balance Ball. Take the basic plank to a new level.
- Alternating Supermans. Don't forget to work the posterior chain.
- V-Sit Exercise. Double ouch!
- Oblique Twist with Medicine Ball
Do This: Quick Core Workout.
By combining some of the best core exercises performed one after another, you will get an effective core workout that is also great as a part of your warm ups and cool downs.