A study done at San Diego State University compared thirteen common abdominal exercises in an effort to determine the best. Each exercises was ranked for muscle stimulation--measured with EMG--in the rectus abdominis, the external obliques and internal obliques.
Learn more about the study: How to Exercise the Abs.
Do the Bicycle Crunch:
- Lie flat on the floor with your lower back pressed to the ground and contract your core muscles.
- With your hands gently holding your head, lift your knees to about a 45-degree angle.
- Slowly, at first, go through a bicycle pedal motion.
- Alternately touching your elbows to the opposite knees as you twist back and forth.
- Breath evenly throughout the exercise.
Compare Prices: Exercise Floor Mats