Causes of Burners / Stingers
These are common football injuries, but many people experience the sensation during car accidents, or by simply turning the head quickly.
Usually the pain subsides in a minute without any long-term problems. See a physician if the injury that caused the burnier was severe 9such as an impact) to rule out a serious condition such as a slipped disk or spinal cord problem. Seek immediate medical attention if both of your arms are affected, ou received a blow to the head.
If this occurs during sports, you need to be sure all your symptoms resolve entirely before you return to the game. If you return too quickly, the risk of re-injury is high.
Preventing Burners / Stingers
- Use protective gear (a collar for football) and proper sports technique
- Avoid awkward positions of the head an neck
- Stretch your neck muscles prior to activity
- Strengthen your neck, back and shoulder muscles
- Return to activity slowly after sustaining a burner or stinger
- See a physician if you experience recurrent burners and stingers