Before jumping into the glute activation exercises, make sure your hip flexors are relaxed. Use this slow, static hip flexor stretch to help inhibit the hip flexors
, particularly the powerful psoas muscle, while you get your glutes firing.
The Hip Flexor / Psoas Stretch
- Begin in a forward lunge position and drop your back knee to the floor.
- Raise your arms and hands up over your head and look up.
- Press your hips forward and down toward the floor. Feel a stretch through your torso, hip, groin and thigh.
- Hold the stretch for about 20 to 30 seconds, release and repeat on the other leg.
- You can modify this stretch based upon your own flexibility and limitations, but be sure to keep your forward knee over or behind your ankle -- not in front of it.