Time required: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 16 bars / 20 squares
- 1/2 Cup unsalted chopped almonds
- 1/2 Cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbs flax or chia seeds (optional)
- 1 Cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, dates, figs, etc)
- 2 Cups rolled / instant oats
- 2 Cups crisp rice cereal
- 1/4 Cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/4 Cup wheat germ (optional)
- 1/4 Cup coconut flakes (optional)
- 1/2 Cup natural almond butter (or reduced fat peanut butter)
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine soft ingredients (almond butter, brown sugar and honey) in a sauce pan over low heat.
- Stirring frequently, let all the ingredients melt and combine together and then add the vanilla and mix well.
- Pour the warm almond butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well until completely coated.
- Pour the entire mix into a pre-oiled 9-by-13 inch baking pan and flatten evenly.
- Let stand until it hardens (about 60 minutes).
- Cut into bars, squares or bite-sized pieces for an easy to eat energy food.
- You can wrap the bars in foil or plastic to have handy, or freeze them for future use (just thaw at room temperature and you are good to go).
Nutrition information per bar (Approximate depending upon ingredients used): 240 calories; 9g fat, 42g carbohydrates, 5g protein, 3g fiber.