If you find yourself negotiating with your travel mates, or scheduling in a quick exercise session during family vacations, an active vacation might be more your style. And you wouldn't be alone. More travelers are looking for active vacations that combine fitness, travel, adventure and typical vacation down time. Active vacations are a great way for fitness buffs to maintain conditioning while enjoying family vacations. Organized bike tours, walking or hiking trips, and even sports training camps offer daily exercise followed by evenings of pampered relaxation and gourmet meals.
And for those who want to take an active vacation to the next level, a sports training camp may be just the ticket. Most people think sports camps are for kids learning to play soccer, basketball, tennis or some other little league sport. But adult training camps are becoming a popular way for recreational athletes to ramp up their sport skills and fitness levels. There are camps that cater to every sport, every age and ability, as well as women-only camps.
So if you are tempted to give an active vacation a new twist, consider a sports training camp. Here are some ideas to get you started:
Sports Training Camps for Adults
- IMG Academies is an advanced, state-of-the-art, multi-sport training and educational facility created for young athletes as well as professionals. In addition to training in golf, soccer, baseball and basketball, the IMG offers performance and mental conditioning as well.
- Carmichael Training Systems Camps offer expert coaching for cyclists, runners and swimmers.
- AthletiCamps offer cycling training in Northern California.
- Mountain Workshop offer outdoor adventures of all kinds.
- Running Camps for All Ages is a listing provided by RunningTimes.com.
- Run Santa Fe's Camp Marafiki offers you a chance to train with top marathoners.
- Boardfolio.com provides a massive listing of surf camps and schools.
- GrownUpCamps.com offers fantasy camps, recreational adventures, sports programs, and learning vacations for the adult traveler.
- U.S. SportsCamps has a database of over 500 camps in 15 different sports with unique instructional programs for all ability levels.
- Running Camps for Women are provided by RunningTimes.com.
- Windell's Camps at Mt. Hood offers summer and winter sessions for snowboarding, skiing, skateboarding, and BMX. All ages, all abilities.
- The Shaw Guide Directory is a clearinghouse of high performance camps and programs. Simply type in your sport or activity and you can wade through a large list camps that cater to your whim.
Camps for Kids and Teens
- Adventure-camp.com has a directory of summer adventure camps & programs for kids & teens.
- Mysummercamps.com provides a directory of hundreds of sports camps (soccer to wakeboarding) for kids and teens.
- Outward Bound Wilderness Courses offer over 650 adventure-based wilderness courses serving adults, teens and youth.
- U.S. Sports Camps has a database of over 500 camps in 15 different sports with unique instructional programs for all ability levels.
- Adventure Treks offers 2 week caving, climbing, hiking, and paddling adventures for teenagers.