When I think about physical activity, I:
- can't wait to put on my walking shoes
- really want to exercise but need a push
- dread the idea of moving a muscle, but am happy once I get moving
When I am physically active, I enjoy exercising:
- by myself at my own pace
- with a team or group
- with one or two buddies
I exercise because:
- I want to stay in shape, slim down, or improve my health
- I want to see my friends and catch up on the latest news
- the weather is nice or I just feel like it
When I take part in a physical activity, I usually:
- plan the event ahead of time
- participate when someone else has set up the activity or attend a class
- pull it together quickly and do something active when the mood strikes
Others see me as:
- a leader
- a team player
- someone who goes along with a good idea
I enjoy physical activities that are:
- set by my own routine
- set by a professional, teacher, or group
Scoring For every answer, give yourself:
1 = 1 point
2 = 2 points
3 = 3 points
If you scored ...
6-9 points: you are a self-motivator
10-14 points: you are a team player
15-18 points: you are spontaneous
You like structure and organization. Creating and sticking to your own exercise plan is relatively easy, but you may find yourself losing interest in your usual routine. Try adding a few new activities such as biking, rowing, gardening, or hiking. Or try alternating your favorite workouts such as walking, swimming, and weightlifting on different days of the week.
To you, exercise is a way to socialize and stay connected to friends and family. Group activities and classes are a natural selection for you. Sign up for an exercise class; put together a group of friends for walking; or join a team sport or sports league such as bowling, softball, or doubles tennis.
You love freedom and loathe conforming to rigid rules. Things that get you moving might include a call from friends who need a fourth player for a round of golf, a hike in the woods to enjoy a beautiful fall day, or a walk to the store when you are out of milk. These activities are great, but make sure you're doing something active on most days.
Reference: American Institute for Cancer Research, Washington, D.C.
Last Review Date: June 2006