This simple stretch, sometimes called the Achilles tendon stretch, stretches the tendons and muscles of the lower leg<. Here's how to do it correctly.
How to Do the Standing Achilles Tendon Heel Stretch
- Stand about an arm's-length from a wall or another sturdy object.
- Lean forward and place both hands on the wall about shoulder width apart.
- Extend one foot (the side to be stretched) behind you with your knee bend and heel on the ground.
- Keep the other foot closer to the wall.
- Lean into wall slightly and bend the knee of the heel to be stretched (keeping the heel down) until you feel a stretch in the back of the lower leg (just above the heel).
- Sink down slowly with your hips to deepen the stretch.
- Hold this stretch for about 30 seconds and change sides.
- This stretch is similar to the calf stretch, however by bending your knee you focus the stretch on the Achilles rather than the calf.