This is a very simple stretch you can do while standing. This stretch targets the soleus muscle as well as the Achilles tendon in the lower leg. Here's how to do it correctly.
How to Do the Standing Soleus Stretch
- Take a half step forward.
- Keep your weight evenly distributed on both feet and slowly bend your knees and sink down toward the ground.
- Keep your heels on the ground.
- You will feel a stretch in the back leg, just above the heel.
- Continue to sink down slowly with your hips to deepen the stretch.
- Hold this stretch for about 30 seconds and change sides.
- By bending your knee this stretch targets the soleus and Achilles tendon rather than the gastrocnemius (calf) muscle.