IT Band Pain - Stretching Exercises for IT Band Pain
By Elizabeth Quinn, About.com Guide
Updated November 26, 2009
About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by the Medical Review Board
Here is a simple IT band stretch you can do while sitting on the ground.
How to Do the Seated IT Band Stretch
- While sitting on the ground, cross one leg over the other as shown.
- Gently pull your bent knee towards your chest so the inside of the knee is is near your torso.
- Slowly twist your upper body and slide your upper arm over your bent knee as shown.
- In this position, you will be able to apply gentle pressure to your thigh in order to feel a stretch across the outside of your hip and glutes (butt muscles).
- Hold this stretch for 15-20 seconds, relax and switch legs. Repeat 3-5 times per side.