Core Exercise 8: The Skip with Twist Exercise
If you are using this core workout before sports, you may want to add this final warm up exercise before hitting the court, field or pavement. There are many ways to warm up, but this simple skip with a twist exercise engages the muscles of the core as well as the upper and lower body in a gentle and rhythmic warm-up.
How to Do the Skip with a Twist Exercise
- Find a level place with enough room for about 10 full forward strides.
- Begin by slowly skipping forward 10 strides (5 per side), stop and turn around.
- For each return skip, gradually add more intensity and a larger twist to your strides.
- Continue to add a full arm swing and drive your knees a bit higher.
- Finally, add the torso twist as soccer icon David Beckham demonstrates in the photo. Take full skipping strides, driving your knees upward and your arms across your body to a full range of motion.
- Keep your movements smooth and controlled, not sloppy. Focus on your core and abdominal muscles to get the most from this warm up this exercise.