How to Do the Basic Abdominal Crunch
- Lie on your back, bend your knees, placing your hands on the sides of your head.
- Contract your abs and flatten your lower back against the floor.
- Slowly lift your shoulder blades one or two inches off the floor.
- Exhale as you lift, keep your neck straight and chin up.
- Hold for a few seconds (don't hold your breath).
- Slowly lower while keeping your abs contracted.
- Repeat up to 20 reps this perfect form for each rep.
- To make it more difficult, use an exercise ball.