1. Health
Elizabeth Quinn

New Stretch Decreases Plantar Fasciitis Pain

By January 5, 2007

A new stretch is successfully treating plantar fasciitis according to a study in the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery.

Plantar Fasciitis Stretch

The new stretch targets the plantar fascia and is performed by crossing one leg over the other and pulling the toes toward the shin for a count of ten and repeating ten times. This is a change from the standard treatment that recommends the weight-bearing Achilles tendon stretch.

When done before taking the first step in the morning, after prolonged sitting and at least three times a day, the stretch has shown to reduce pain significantly.

plantar fascia

Sources

Plantar Fasciitis: Evidence-Based Review of Diagnosis and Therapy, Am Fam Physician. 2005 Dec 1;72(11):2237-2242.

Tissue-Specific Plantar Fascia-Stretching Exercise Enhances Outcomes in Patients with Chronic Heel Pain, The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery

Comments
January 28, 2010 at 12:18 am
(1) Liz says:

To prevent plantar fasciitis, run on soft surfaces, keep mileage increases to less than 10 percent per week, and visit a specialty running shop to make sure you’re wearing the proper shoes for your foot type and gait. It’s also important to stretch the plantar fascia and Achilles tendon (try the two stretches below from Dr. DiGiovanni).

[1] Achilles Tendon Stretch: Stand with your affected foot behind your healthy one. Point the toes of the back foot toward the heel of the front foot, and lean into a wall. Bend the front knee and keep the back knee straight, heel firmly planted on the floor. Hold for a count of 10.

[2] Plantar Fascia Stretch: Sit down, and place the affected foot across your knee. Using the hand on your affected side, pull your toes back toward your shin until you feel a stretch in your arch. Run your thumb along your foot–you should feel tension. Hold for a count of 10

January 28, 2010 at 12:22 am
(2) Liz says:
February 1, 2011 at 12:47 pm
(3) Lisa says:

Are any of these exercises helpful? Could they cause more damage?

February 14, 2012 at 11:05 am
(4) flat feet problems says:

Hi there, I enjoy reading through your post. I like to write a little comment to support you.

August 22, 2012 at 3:53 pm
(5) Bill says:

It’s a shame you don’t have а donate button! Ι’d without a doubt donate to this brilliant blog! I suppose for now i’ll sеttle fοr bookmarkіng аnd
adding your RSЅ feed to mу Goоgle aсcount.
I look forward to fresh updatеs аnd ωіll
share thiѕ wеbsite with my Facebook grоup.
Talk sоon!

October 20, 2012 at 11:55 am
(6) Dr Tim says:

Liz,
Thanks for the input.
I know #1 is just not going to cut it for most people with plantar faciitis.
and # 2 and # 3.

November 1, 2012 at 9:52 am
(7) northernadams says:

I cured–yes, I said that: CURED–my plantar fasciitis by switching to skechers shape ups. No spam here–the store brands of this shoe work just as well and I only ever bought Walmart brand or the Dr Schol’s of the same shoe. It takes all pressure off the heel and the toe, and puts more pressure on the arch. And I walked (hobbled) around for two weeks laughing at the way these things look before the pain forced me to grab a pair off the shelves and try them. That was two years ago, and now I’m having a hard time finding these shoes. I heard about the lawsuit. This company needs to rename the shoe and take weight loss claims off the box. Then get the shoes back in the stores. When the main brand stops selling them, so do the knock-offs and store brands. I need that shoe or I’m all but crippled.

January 4, 2013 at 3:51 am
(8) Hez says:

northernadams – you can try checking out MBT’s. they are actually the original that the sketchers are based on. they make a number of styles. hope it helps

March 22, 2013 at 10:24 am
(9) baileybrigade says:

Great article with good information. I think it also helps to see the exercises in action instead of jsut pictures and good descriptions. Here’s a great video I found on youtube that shows some good exercises and stretches for plantar fasciitis: http://youtu.be/0PeVmTMdWhk

June 20, 2013 at 6:35 pm
(10) Aleta says:

i wore the sketcher shap ups and that give me the foot problems. So those dont work.